Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Party Politics

Day Two was a return to the true purpose of the convention as the night's speakers began the contrast between their candidate and Sen. Barack Obama.  But for my effort it was more of the same.  I was unable to step away from another busy day and so must recap our day at the end of the night.

We started our day on some train tracks as the Oregon delegation attended a luncheon hosted by the BNSF railway.  We spoke to Republicans from the state who in many ways were getting on track for the purpose of their party.

We then made our way to the X to prepare for what many called the true first day of the convention.  Our efforts for the 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. newscasts finished smoothly.  We enjoyed the downtime before we made our way to the floor.  We waited to get special media passes as the president spoke and were walking the convention's red carpet as Fred Thompson addressed the hall.

Making our way to the first open spot we saw, next to the Pennsylvania delegation, we walked by the VIP seating.  In one row, President George H. W. Bush and his wife, Barbara; were with Cindy McCain and the families of the night's speakers.  As Thompson spoke, I couldn't help but notice he had a nice tie.  Later on my reporter and I took a picture with a fellow trojan and reporter on assignment at the convention, Elex Michaelson.  I think you will see why I liked Thompson's tie here.
As Sen. Lieberman ended his speech we quickly grabbed sound from a delegate and were ready to end our day.  But it took us so many takes to get the on-camera reports needed for our 11 p.m. piece.  We barely got back to the media workspace before 10 p.m. PT.  We had less than hour to get our story written, edited, and sent to Bend.  It made it on time but it made us stay at the X until 1 a.m. CT.  I think we are likely to leave even later on Day Three when Gov. Sarah Palin takes the RNC stage.

No comments: